Monday, November 23, 2009

Chapter 7 : Sienta que yo es extranjero



I have recently decided to Travel. This is something new to me, the last time out of the country for me being when i was about 5 or 6 years old to a resort somewhere in Fiji... it is safe thus for me to say that i have never been overseas.

The Destination....South America.

Back to the homeland for me, being half Chilean myself this is a good chance to meet some of the family i have never met and really get a feel for my heritage as well as finally getting to experience a feeling of pure Culture Shock... the only problem is that i am not leaving till midway next year.

That's 7 months from now!!!

I am the type of person who gets really excited about things, overenthusiatic some might say and nothing gets me more excited than the idea of travel. And so since making this decision to travel some 2 weeks ago i have immerced myself in South America, Travel Blogs have been the main culprit, reading through peoples journeys, where they went, what illnesses they got, how many other travellers they ran into. These small excerpts of their lives, written to friends and families gave me a rush... that could be me, i could be writing about trekking to machu pichu... sampling a giant seafood platter equal in price to a maccas burger back home... meeting some locals or even some backpackers... making new friends from around the world....

Still 7 Months from now...!

I went and bought the Lonely planet guide, this book has travelled with me everywhere! When something is rendering at work and i cant use the computer i read the book... where's good to stay in Argentina? How much is a meal in Santiago? What vaccinations do i need to get? The amount of cool stuff to see and do and the cheapness of it all! The cool traditionally furnished Hostels or the Fancy hotels? Bus or Train????

Yet... Still 7 Months from now......!

There is a lot of planning to do for a trip overseas... a lot of forms to fill and things to organise. But Half a year is too far ahead for that, my main focus should be in saving money, but the thing is that i need to think about the trip, i need something to motivate me to save, to keep working.... something to look foreward to, my biggest fear however is that in 7 months time will i have exhausted South America for myself?

7 months isn't that long is it?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I didn't know you were part Chilean, that's awesome! Can you speak any Spanish?

    7 months isn't that long! In fact, it's probably a perfect amount of time to save up, to learn enough about what to expect. My mother is so travel crazy, everytime we get back from overseas she starts planning the next trip. And thus has been thinking about our current one for about 3 years (problem is though, she gets very emotionally invested in it, and anytime you annoy her about it she's very snappy). And our current trip has been through about 20 different incarnations of itinerary. It's all part of it!

    You might get a lull in enthusiasm in a few months, but it will pick up, I promise.

    You going to go alone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,

    Yeah Mum's Chileno, but sadly i dont know any spanish, i think i might take up a course next year.

    I guess you're right, 7 months should fly by, my biggest concern is that i dont think i am going for long enough... but i'm going with Mat and unlike me at that time, he will still have a job to go onto.

    I just worked a rough plan out, we are going to start in Chile, then to argentina, then peru, then colombia then LA and then drive to San Fransisco then home.... its a lot to do in a month

    ReplyDelete